|Founded in 1954 St. Johns Packaging is a vertically integrated manufacturer of flexible packaging products. Still controlled by the founding family the company has experienced continued growth and currently has operations in over 8 countries including Canada, the US, Mexico, China, Vietnam and Australia, employing over 825 employees.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work within our small and friendly Engineering department as a Multi Skilled Maintenance Engineer. As the only Engineer on shift you will need to be able to act independently and prioritise your own work to support production requirements.
The nature of the role is mainly as a support service to the manufacturing activities on site, providing help and assistance to the shift teams when not engaged in PPM work, engineering development projects, or other planned engineering work. The scope of activity includes ensuring all plant, machinery, ancillary equipment including Site Services are maintained in a good working order, whilst keeping downtime to a minimum.
This is a permanent- Full time, 4 on 4 off 12 hour shift pattern, days and nights- average of 42 hours per week
Key responsibilities include;
• To adhere to all of the company’s procedures on health & safety to ensure accidents and injuries do not occur, and taking an active role in housekeeping and highlighting safety improvements.
• To adhere to all food safety requirements and ensure maintenance activity does not impact on quality of the product.
• To support the other members of the Engineering Team through help, advice and achievement of the planned workload, works flexibly in support of holidays and other cover arrangements.
• To diagnose breakdown problems when they occur and make repairs as necessary, seeking assistance if required.
• To work through a programme of maintenance tasks, using knowledge and experience to prioritise between urgent and routine activities.
• To carry out PPM tasks as appropriate, in a safe manner, liaising with Production to ensure availability of the asset and minimise downtime.
• To be involved in Engineering Development Projects as required
• To carry out Site Services inspections and other Routines
• To assist Production in getting lines up and running again following Job Changes and Breakdowns.
• To persevere to resolve problems that do arise and use initiative to identify areas that require attention in order to prevent future breakdowns.
• To communicate in a clear, effective and appropriate manner with all other personnel, during shift handover periods.
• To continue to learn from experience, observation and inquiry and to build upon existing skills as new equipment and processes are introduced.
• To strive to achieve a high standard of workmanship in any task undertaken, whilst completing work at a rate which satisfies the needs of production.
• To source and purchase parts for maintenance activity in accordance with company processes.
Experience and Qualifications:
• Ideally at least 3 years’ experience in a similar role and have been involved with the maintenance of Plant and Equipment in a Process Plant.
• Engineering / Manufacturing background.
• Qualified in electrical and multi skilled in mechanical discipline.
• Analytical skills; organisational and communication skills; and an enthusiastic / innovative approach to work.
• Flexible, adaptable and team orientated.
• Able to communicate effectively and build a reputation for reliability and service.
• Able to plan, prioritise and think ahead.
• Able to work on own initiative as well as to set procedures.