Primarily responsible for managing the smooth running of shop floor production at the Dorking site in line with production planning and Company processes, Standard Operating Processes (SOP) and work instructions. Driving change to reduce costs and improve production rates through excellent people and project management skills, designing, testing, troubleshooting problems, implementing and maintaining process upgrades and new process systems.
Activities, Duties and Key Tasks
- Oversees and assesses existing processes and workflows.
- Optimises productivity by designing, implementing and testing new procedures.
- Assembles reports to document process status and changes.
- Tracks metrics to discover areas for improvement and monitor upgrades.
- Communicates findings and proposals to upper management.
- Utilises process simulation software to test and find the most appropriate production strategies.
- Provides thorough instructions for successful implementation of process changes.
- Assesses compliance with applicable safety and quality standards.
- Contributes to departmental efforts by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
- To be aware of the Dorking site’s shop floor workload, including what is current and predicted, and delivery dates.
- To have responsibility for the output of Dorking site components, from placing of order through to delivery, ensuring products are delivered in line with finishing/despatch requirements in time to meet deliveries.
- To prepare the planning of Dorking production and attend planning meetings; raising any concerns and implement plan in accordance with the Operations Manager’s direction.
- To manage the staff based on the shop floor and to supervise the quality and quantity of their output in accordance with the SOP.
- To ensure the SOP is being updated with relevant changes and that all cycle times are initialled.
- To ensure staff are working in a safe environment and are using any personal protective equipment that is required for the job in hand.
- Liaison with Health and Safety committee as necessary
- To ensure that the shop floor staff at Dorking receive adequate training on all jobs that they work on and to ensure they are aware of the commerciality of each job and to record this training.
- To carry out annual appraisals and monthly staff 1-2-1 meetings; setting and managing objectives, giving feedback and managing overall staff performance.
- Commit required time each week for management and personal development.
- Report back to management and attend meetings/participate as and when required
- To monitor staff performance and ensure that company procedures are being followed, and monitor times, including the monitoring of lengths of breaks.
- To liaise with the Operations Manager regarding any personnel performance or training issues you or your team may have.
- To liaise with the Operations Manager any maintenance requirements and/or improvements suggestions/plans requiring investment
- To maintain Company and accredited standards adopted by the Company
- To ensure that good housekeeping is implemented and maintained.
- To challenge current practices where appropriate and suggest improvements
- To take responsibility for addressing poor practices either personally or by pointing them out tactfully to others.
- Organising setting and running of machines in line with production plan
- Liaise with the Quality Engineer regarding quality control practices, ensuring quality is implemented in line with Company practice.
- Patrol in line with SOP requirements with responsibility for quality of output
- Ensure that parts are organised, sorting and packed in line with SOP
- Ensure the management of shop floor stock, to include booking in and out raw materials and liaising with the Aftermoulding, Stock and Despatch Manager as necessary to ensure stock is being logged monitored effectively.
- Liaise with Operations Manager for production queries, not limited to machine breakdowns, troubleshooting which cannot be resolved, plant, equipment and site problems and staffing issues
- To ensure staff are working in a safe environment and that PPE is used effectively
- To challenge current practices as appropriate, proactively suggesting, improving and implementing changes and operating a continuous improvements practice mindset
- Monitor and report on internal activities and provide relevant reports and information as and when required
- Attend training as required and ensure personal development, relevant knowledge techniques, and skills are suitable and sufficient to meet the demands of the job.
- Ensure that all health and safety standards and procedures are fully observed and adhered to.
- To be responsible for own health and safety and to take reasonable care, commensurate with the position, for the health, safety and welfare of others within the working environment, which includes wearing, and ensuring others wear, the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- To undertake all other reasonable duties commensurate with position or if directed by the Operations Manager or a member of the Senior Management Team.
Excellent analytical and math skills (Essential)
Strong written and verbal communication skills (Essential)
Ability to persuade others to change existing practices (Essential)
Strong attention to detail (Essential)
Proven ability to identify, assess and solve problems (Essential)
Highly competent with computer and information technology (Essential)
Knowledge of process engineering software systems (Essential)
Ability to work in a team (Essential)
Ability to trouble shoot and problem solve quickly and effectively (Essential)
High level of competence and experience in injection moulding setting and processes (Essential)
Mathematics and English GCSE Grade C or above (Essential)
Experience of managing and developing a team (Essential)
Leadership skills (Essential)
Proactive continuous improvement and can-do attitude (Essential)
LEAN/5S/6 Sigma experience and/or qualification (Essential)
Previous experience in quality or business process engineering (Essential)
Understanding of Health & Safety legislation requirements (Essential)
Batchelors Degree in Engineering field (Desirable)
Experience working with and setting on Sumitomo Demag IM Machines (Desirable)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.